Thursday, September 20, 2007

Munich Skate Night

I had seen a sign in the subway about a poker tournament, Curtis had seen it too. We decided to check it out and see what it said. The next morning we found ourselves at a bier garten with 20 or so other people playing a friendly game of poker. It was a 20 euro buy-in and the winner was entered into another tournament in Salzburg. There was no money to be won, being that would be illegal, so it was more about just playing the game. Everyone seemed to have fun. I stayed in for awhile but was reckless and rusty with a couple bluffs.


We decided to keep the party going. We enjoyed a beautiful day in Munich after many weeks of cold and rain. We decided to ride to the other bier gartens around the chinese tower. We filled up on mass biers and had a wonderful time riding our bikes through the park among the people laying out in the sun and the groups of people playing football. It was a leisurely ride with no intentions or sense of urgency involved.

Super nice Hi-Res pano, peep game.

We found a spot at one of the gartens near the water. There were swans and other duck like birds, or just ducks. The sky changed from white to blue and the water changed from green to black. 2 liters of beer is the same size as a 2 liter bottle of pepsi or coke only its beer and you decide its a good idea to drink it within less than two hours.

After the garten we rode up to Leopold Strasse in Swabing where there was some outdoor fair going on. We walked around here checking out the people. I don't remember anything too exciting except for the day was going pretty well, letting things fall into place.

Gerald

We rode down the street and saw some skater kids hanging out on the road. I yelled something to them and they asked us to sit down and have a drink. There were about 8 of them or so hanging out on the street listening to an ipod through some speakers, drinking beers. We asked where the beer was and they said there was a store around the corner. Curtis and I got on our bikes and rode to the store. We picked up 5 bottles of Augestiner Brau and rode back to the group. On the way there one of the bottles fell out and broke on the sidewalk, exploding foam everywhere. We kept on riding. We got back sat down and enjoyed some good times.



It reminded me of high school, when i used to skate and we would just move from one place to another loitering, only we couldn't drink beer. I got on one of the kids skateboards and luckily didn't hurt myself too bad. Another one took my camera and took a bunch of pictures of everything going on. There was one girl hanging with the crowd. She was looking for a place to crash that night. The kids seemed genuine and reminded me of my crew back in the day. They were artists, outsiders, whatever, didn't really care about what everyone in Munich was supposed to do. Whether it was to look like you had money, or go to the fancy clubs or act like you knew what you were talking about, these kids didn't care much for that.


They got on their boards and I got on my bike. We rode through Munich the skateboards creating a howl on the bricks and cobblestones. Cars, busses, people were all gladly moving out of our way. It got busy and one of the guys snuck too close to me and took me down off my bike. I held the camera up and rolled on my shoulder like I was supposed to when one falls. It felt good. To fall like that. I knew I was going down tucked my hands in and let the shoulder and hip do the rest. The nostalgic feelings of things I used to do all came back for that night.

Check out my fall in this top notch vid.


Going to a school for 4 years and blowing out your knee can make you forget a lot about things in your life you can still do.

No comments: